Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 3 mins
This was a recipe from a holiday site I was sent, and is from the kitchen of Mary Elms.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups apples, peeled and chunked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Cover raisins with water, cook for 3 minutes, drain well.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in raisins, nuts and apples. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool before frosting.
- Frosting: Combine the 6 tablespoons butter with the 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar and boil for 2 minutes.
- Let cool. Mix in 4 cups confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time until spreading consistency.
- After frosting, sprinkle some chopped nuts on top.
- As an option, replace the frosting with ice-cream. Mmmm.