Recipe by Ms*Bindy
This is an almond cake that is almost a custard with a poached appple in the center of each piece.
Top Review by Doglover61(aka Earnhardt)
DD and I really liked this; DH doesn't care much for apples, so he wasn't thrilled. However, I loved the texture & flavor of it and will definitely make it again!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 4 tart baking apples
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup ground almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water and lemon juice in a large saucepan.
- Halve, core and peel the apples and drop them in the lemon water to prevent discoloring.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water, if necessary, to cover the apples.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil quickly.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 3-5 minutes, until apples are just barely tender.
- Remove apples from the pan and drain them.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a 10-inch pie plate.
- Separate the eggs.
- Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and whip them until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Stir in the egg yolks and almonds.
- Mix a spoonful of whipped egg whites into the creamed mixture then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Place the apple halves, flat side down in the buttered pie plate.
- Pour the almond topping mixture over the apples and gently smooth the batter between the apples. The tops of the apples will peek through.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve at room temperature.