Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my mother-in-law’s recipe. It’s delicious, and I’m not even a big apple fan! We live in apple country, so around harvest time I make this a lot! It’s great as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream, and doubles nicely as a breakfast coffee cake.
- 4 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs.
- Mix together eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Stir in apples. (The amount of apples makes this a very dense batter.).
- Pour batter into a 9x13 greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour, and check for doneness.
- It may take up to 1-1/2 hrs to bake.
Excellent moist cake. I would recommend baking it a little longer than recommended. As the other reviewer recommended, cut the spices down dramatically. The posted amounts just can't be correct. I used 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 tablespoon cinnamon and it was perfect.
This is a simple, tender cake, but I think the flavors of cinnamon and vanilla dominate so much that you can't even taste the apples. I e-mailed the poster, who assures me these are the measurements he or she uses and enjoys, but I think I might prefer it with teaspoons rather than tablespoons of cinnamon and vanilla.