Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was a hit at our Memorial Day celebration. I adapted it from a recipe that was used at a birthday party. It's served best warm (but is still great after cooled) and with vanilla ice cream. Stay tuned...I'm working on a slightly healthier version!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 3 cups baking apples (diced into small bits)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease/oil 9 x 13 pan; set aside.
- Beat eggs slightly.
- Add sugar.
- In separate bowl, mix flour and cinnamon then add to egg and sugar mixture.
- Add oil
- Beat everything together with a mixer---mixture will be very thick!
- Add diced apples.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 for 45 - 50 minutes, or until center is firm.
- Approximately 5 - 10 minutes before cake comes out of oven, mix butter, milk, and brown sugar.
- Boil for 4 - 5 minutes.
- When cake is done, prick surface with a fork and pour mixture over the hot cake.