Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Gooseberry Patch More Gifts for Giving
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a saucepan; heat until chips have melted; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, cake mix, and butter until coarse crumbs form (I use a pastry blender); set 1 cup of mixture aside and press remaining crumbs into an ungreased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Spread apple mixture on top; sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Combine reserved crumb mixture with brown sugar and wheat germ.
- Layer over apple mixture.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 35-45 degrees; cool at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares.
the taste is great, but I have made this twice and both times it has turned out very gooey. I would like to know if anyone else has made this to know if theirs turned out gooey also.?