Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the Better Homes and Gardens 'so good with FRUIT' cookbook, & was originally meant to be roasted on a spit, over charcoal. I've adapted it for oven cooking since I have no spit! The finished roast should have a crisp jacket of peanut & apple butters with a tangy orange accent.
- 6 lbs boneless pork loin, rolled, tied
- 1 cup apple butter
- 4 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, & place in an unheated oven.
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F, & roast the meat, uncovered for 3 hours. About 30 minutes before the end of the roasting time, insert a meat thermometer into the center & continue roasting until the thermometer reaches 170 degrees F.
- Meantime, gradually stir the apple butter into the peanut butter, then add the orange zest & juice.
- When the internal temperature of the roast reaches 170 degrees F, brush the apple butter mixture over the entire exposed surface of the roast, then continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes.