Top Review by Aunt Cookie
These muffins tasted like they contained much more fat/butter than they actually did, which I appreciate! They are very sweet and moist; they made a lovely breakfast. Thanks!
- vegetable oil cooking spray (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 30 mini-muffin pan cups or 12 medium muffin cups with paper liners, or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- In small bowl, combine apple butter, milk, margarine and egg whites until well blended.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin cups almost full with batter.
- Prepare streusel topping (see below); sprinkle evenly over batter, patting gently.
- Bake mini-muffins 12 to 15 minutes, and larger muffins 20 to 22 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- STREUSEL TOPPING: in small bowl, combine all ingredients; mix until well blended.
- Notes: To freeze, wrap muffins securely in foil or place in freezer bag.
- Seal, label and freeze.
- To reheat muffins, unwrap; microwave on high (100% power) about 30 seconds per muffin.