A rye bread made with apple juice, apple butter, cardamom, and toasted walnuts. Can be made as two one-pound loaves, or as one two-pound loaf -- see bake times below! NOTE: I use the automatic bread machine dough cycle only, and bake in my oven, therefore this recipe has not been tried on a complete bread machine bake cycle!
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped, then toasted in a hot dry iron skillet)
- 2 1⁄3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups rye flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 30 green cardamom pods (OPTIONAL ~ open pods and grind seeds with the brown sugar above)
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten, PLUS
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast
- Put first six ingredients into bread machine pan.
- Toast chopped walnuts in a hot dry iron skillet ~ set aside in a large bowl to cool.
- Measure flours and add to bowl with toasted walnuts.
- Shell cardamom pods and grind the seeds with brown sugar ~ add to bowl of dry ingredients.
- Add dry milk powder and vital wheat gluten to other dry ingredients.
- Spoon dry ingredients into bread machine pan, on top of wet ingredients.
- In one corner of bread machine pan, add salt ~ in an opposite corner, add the bread machine yeast.
- Select DOUGH CYCLE ~ after about 10 minutes of mixing, check dough consistency ~ if too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time ~ if too wet, add flour one tablespoon at a time, until dough is smooth and not ragged.
- Divide dough and shape into two one-pound loaves ~ LET DOUGH RISE UNTIL DOUBLED. ALLOW ENOUGH TIME FOR PROPER RISE ~ If dough doesn't rise enough, the bread will be dense!
- For two one-pound loaves, bake in a preheated 350F oven, in glass pans, for 20 minutes ~ tent with foil and continue baking another 10-15 minutes.
- For one two-pound loaf, bake in a preheated 350F oven, in glass pans, for 20 minutes ~ tent with foil and continue baking another 20-25 minutes.
- NOTE: I have not baked this recipe in a complete bread machine baking cycle.