Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 cup apple butter
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
- In smaller bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Pour wet mixture into the"well" of the dry ingredients and stir just to combine (10 to 15 strokes).
- Fold in raisins with as few strokes as possible.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups (if you don't use muffin liners, spray the pan with cooking spray).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove muffin tin to cooling rack and cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from tin.
- (Do*not* let muffins cool completely in the tin.).
Excellent. It was a good year for apples, so I got carried away with apple butter. Searching for recipes to use it up, I found this one. They baked up beautifully. I also left out the raisins, but will add them next time, or some chopped or dried apples. Thank you for sharing!!
I used my homemade apple butter to make these and they were quite good. I used oil for the applesauce since I didn't have applesauce on hand. I also didn't add raisins. I think this could be a tad better if I used oats in the batter or maybe added a crumb topping. Overall, 5-star flavor!
I pretty much followed the recipe except for substituting in 1/2c. wheat flour. I chose to leave out the raisins. This resulted in a dense, chewy, yummy muffin! I got 15 muffins out of the recipe and I baked them for 30 minutes. I liked them as is, but next time I think I will add more cinnamon, perhaps 1 extra teaspoon. Also, I think that some chopped apple would be great to give it a bit more apple flavor. Thanks for a great recipe Dancer! It was my breakfast all last week!