Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These were a lunchroom favorite for the year I helped cook at a Lutheran School. No need to add spices - they are in the apple butter. Note: Some reviewers shared that these do not rise much and that they made only 18 muffins rather than 24.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached flour or 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum-free if available)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup apple butter (homemade if available)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- sugar, to sprinkle
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg to the sugar mixture; beat well.
- Beat in the apple butter and vanilla.
- Stir lemon juice into the evaporated milk.
- Beating at low speed, alternately add the flour and the milk mixtures to the apple butter mixture until just combined.
- The less you mix the more tender the crumb.
- Grease or line with baking papers, 24 muffin cups.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
Fabulous! I was looking for a way to use up some of my crock pot apple butter, and I got a delicious muffin recipe that all 5 of my kiddos love! The were quite heavy - I was worried at first they might not be completely cooked in the middle - but they were simple moist and yummy!!
*I did double the recipe and almost added TWO (15oz.) cans of evaporated milk (that's the normal size cans around here). Good thing I doubled checked - the recipe only calls for 5 ounces! I put in the 10oz for a double batch and the muffins turned out GREAT!
I also added in two large apples, peeled & diced. You could also add in raisins, nuts....whatever strikes your fancy! Thank you for such a great recipe!
Very tasty! I agree with other reviewers - they don't puff up at all, so don't overfill the cups or you'll have a mess. I added a couple of chopped apples (which I highly recommend) and still only wound up with 18 muffins. But the theyr'e very yummy:)
Yummmm!!!! Loved these muffins!! I only made half the batch and they filled my 24 mini muffin pan fine. No they didn't turn out pretty but sometimes those are the ones that taste the best. I added pecans to some of the muffins for me and they were great! Thanks for sharing this recipe...I will be making these again!