Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another tasty recipe from the TOH people. This has a special "spicy" flavor with a little fruit "punch".
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Combine the milk, egg and oil.
- Stir into dry ingredients until just blended, do not overmix.
- Grease or paper line 12 standard sized muffin cups.
- Fill cups with a rounded tablespoon full of batter.
- Top the batter in the cups with a rounded teaspoon of apple butter.
- Cover carefully with the remaining batter.
- Mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 15- 18 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to continue to cool before serving.
The batter was very dense and didnt want to spread out in the muffins tin easily. There was enough batter to make 12 with one tablespoon on the top and bottom but I found it didnt need all of the apple butter and the topping I put 1/2 tsp on the top and had more than double what was needed I also found that the topping mixture of just sugar and pecans didnt stay on the top made for a messy muffin. I also thought that the batter could have had more flavor maybe by increasing the cinnamon. Made for My Three Chefs.
These muffins are scrumptious! They smelled so heavenly right out of the oven it was hard to wait to let them cool to eat. I love the apple butter surprise. I did not have pecans so used toasted sliced almonds but they are great with this too. Made for Share the Love Photo Tag Feb08.
Well these muffins were very good(they didn't look to pretty). I used some homemade apple butter and I think it was a little to thin. Next time I will use less than a tablespoon of dough on the bottom.Thank you very much for a yummy recipe.