Recipe by Michelle S.
Another tasty recipe from the TOH people. This has a special "spicy" flavor with a little fruit "punch".
Top Review by Calee
The batter was very dense and didnt want to spread out in the muffins tin easily. There was enough batter to make 12 with one tablespoon on the top and bottom but I found it didnt need all of the apple butter and the topping I put 1/2 tsp on the top and had more than double what was needed I also found that the topping mixture of just sugar and pecans didnt stay on the top made for a messy muffin. I also thought that the batter could have had more flavor maybe by increasing the cinnamon. Made for My Three Chefs.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup thick apple butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Combine the milk, egg and oil.
- Stir into dry ingredients until just blended, do not overmix.
- Grease or paper line 12 standard sized muffin cups.
- Fill cups with a rounded tablespoon full of batter.
- Top the batter in the cups with a rounded teaspoon of apple butter.
- Cover carefully with the remaining batter.
- Mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 15- 18 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to continue to cool before serving.