Prep 30 mins
Cook 48 hrs
So easy, it cooks itself. And your house will smell wonderful for a couple of days. Good on bagels, muffins, a filling for a spice layer cake.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar, approximate
- Peel and slice enough apples until you fill your crock pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pot to prevent sticking.
- Cook approximately 24-36 hours on low, stirring occasionally during the day.
- To cut cooking time, cook on high during the day, but reduce temperature to low over night.
- After the first day of cooking, add sugar to taste, approximately 2-1/2 to 3-cups.
- Continue to cook until thick and glossy.
- Stir in seasonings and cook for another hour.
- Ladle hot into jelly jars. Seal and put in 10-min. water bath.
- NOTE: Stayman apples are great to make apple butter, but any apple will do. And you can combine sweet and tart apples.
My house smelt just wonderful while cooking this. It turned out a lot darker than i was expecting. I made it according to the recipe without changing a thing. This has been a massive hit, many thanks. It seems to be stroring well too as i made this well over a month ago.