Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 quarts unsweetened applesauce
- 2 lbs granulated sugar
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- The thicker skinned, late Summer and Fall apples produce a grainier texture that's best for applesauce.
- Stir applesauce, sugars, and cider together and cook in a slow oven (325 deg F.) for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices.
- Return to oven and cook 1 hour more.
- Apple butter requires long, slow cooking.
- (Can also be made in a crockpot.)
This was a GREAT tasting treat. I found it very easy to make and everyone who tried it, loved it. I think I'm going to try it with some fresh strawberries next time. Thankyou so much for sharing your recipe. Oh yeah, cooking it all day gives the house a great smell, brings back some great memories.