Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This is the recipe my Grandma used to make. I've tried others with regrets, but this is the Best!!!
- 4 1⁄2 lbs tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered (about 15 medium)
- 4 cups apple cider or 4 cups apple juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- In an 8 or 10 quart pot combine apples and cider or juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then puree in a food processor or blender. Return to pot. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook uncovered, over very low heat 11/2 hours or till very thick, stirring often.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jars rims; place lids on jars and screw on the jar rings. Process in boiling-water canner 5 minutes (start timing when water begins to boil). Remove jars and cool on racks. Makes 5-6 half-pints.
My wife and I made this... Three quarts... It was gone within two weeks.ibelieve I ate a whole quart, myself... Wow it was good. Good on cornbread muffins too. Just like at Cracker Barrel
Best Apple Butter recipe yet! I've been making Apple Butter for the over 30 years, and this is superb. I have submitted a correcting on the simmering time. I think the author meant 11-1/2 hrs., not 11/2 hrs. In fact I simmer mine for 2-3 days, the longer the better. 1 - 1/2 hrs. is NO time for it to cook down, it takes days.
AWESOME RECIPE!!! It tastes incredible....I let it simmer a little longer than recipe called for...but I did not have any problem with it becoming thick (as previous 2 reviews). I give this recipe two thumbs up! THANKS SO MUCH Zwerg!!!