Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
This is a nice, tasty apple butter. Makes a good gift.
- 10 lbs tart apples
- 5 cups water or 5 cups apple cider
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Core and thickly slice apples. (should have 30 cups of sliced apples).
- Place in a 10 quart Dutch Oven. Add water or cider. Bring to a boil,.
- reduce heat. Cover and cook until apples are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally. Press through food mill or sieve, and return to.
- dutch oven. Boil mixture gently uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring.
- frequently with long handled spoon until mixture is of desired thickness.
- about 1 3/4 hour. Stir in spices, cook and stir for 15 minutes more.
- Pour into 11-12 hot half pint jars (or 6 pint jars) Adjust lids and.
- process pints 5 minute quarts 10 minute in a boiling water bath canner.