Serve this home-style coffee cake for a special breakfast or brunch. The purchased muffin mix makes it easy. Best when seved warm. (This recipe first appeared in Better Homes and Gardens magazine).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1/4 cup toasted or untoasted wheat germ
- 1 egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup frozen egg product, thawed)
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1In a medium bowl combine muffin mix and the first 1/4 cup wheat germ.
- 2In another bowl combine the egg, 1/2 cup apple butter, milk, and pumpkin or apple pie spice.
- 3Add the egg mixture all at once to the wheat germ mixture, stirring just till combined.
- 4Pour the batter into a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- 5For topping, in a small bowl stir together brown sugar, the remaining 1/4 cup wheat germ, and 1/4 cup apple butter.
- 6Spoon mixture in small mounds atop batter in pan.
- 7Using a knife, marble the mixture through the batter.
- 8Bake in a 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- 9To serve, sift powdered sugar over each serving and serve with additional apple butter, if desired.
- 10Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Butter Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (697 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1917.3
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 227.6 mg
- Sodium 2847.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 346.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.6 g
- Sugars 177.0 g
- Protein 40.0 g