Recipe by HokiesMom
I found this through my electric co-op magazine and boy am I ever glad I did. Truly a nice moist quick bread. The key to this bread is obtaining a dark, rich apple butter - the darker the better for flavor. I used White House Apple Butter which was wonderful and outside of my mom's fresh homemade apple butter it is the best I've tried. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family.
- 3⁄4 cup apple butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine the apple butter, cinnamon and cloves.
- Whisk in the water, then oil, then brown sugar, then the eggs (not all together). Mix until smooth.
- Sift together (important so you don't get white lumps in your dark bread), flour, baking soda and salt. Then combine with the apple butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch loaf pan or 3 to 4 mini-loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 65-70 minutes for the 9-inch pan or 45-50 minutes for the mini-loaves.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly before removing from the pans and letting cool completely on a wire rack.