Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I saw jars of apple butter BBQ sauce at an apple orchard a few weeks ago. I thought this was a splendid idea—especially for ribs. I've scoured the Internet, and this recipe looks like the best bet. It's originally from Smuckers, (featuring their apple butter). That said, I made a large batch of apple butter (Crock Pot Apple Butter), so I'm using homemade. Again, use what you can get.
- 1 cup smucker's cider apple butter (or your own)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Add everything together. Well, that's where their recipe ends. I think that's silly. So, let's continue.
- Sauté the onion in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil, medium heat. Cook till translucent.
- Add the garlic, cook for about a minute.
- Put everything into a sauce pot on medium heat, stir everything together.
- Before a boil begins, drop the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 min., stirring frequently.
- Take it off heat, let it cool for 30 minute (unless you're canning, of course).
- Store it however you wish. It should keep in the fridge for 30 days, in a freezer for longer, or just can it.
this is very good and as for some people . We find the area you are living in could change any taste problems . making changes may help you or just make your Carolina sauce. no one told people not to add or subtract items to fit taste.i am sure no one is holding a gun to your head.
Awesome BBQ sauce. I made pulled pork and got rave reviews. Just like Montana's BBQ sauce.
Decided to make this after hubby want to buy an exorbitantly priced jar of apple butter BBQ sauce at a local apple orchard. It is delicious. I ended up doubling recipe it was that good. I did however cut the amount of onion in half after reading another review about the onion flavor. 1/2 cup onion is perfect. I used my own apple butter and because that is sweet on its own I added the brown sugar slowly to taste. I only used a packed 1/4 cup brown sugar and it is just right for us! Don't skip the cider vinegar it is. Nice touch! Will definitely try this again but make enough to can. I will pressure can @ 11lbs pressure for 30 min. because I'm not sure of the safety of waterbathing not knowing the acidity of the sauce. I'll update my review after seeing how it comes out after pressure canning it! Don't hesitate to try this adjusting onion and sugar to your taste.