John J. O'Sullivan?'s Note:
I saw jars of apple butter BBQ sauce at an apple orchard a few weeks ago. I thought this was a splendid idea—especially for ribs. I've scoured the Internet, and this recipe looks like the best bet. It's originally from Smuckers, (featuring their apple butter). That said, I made a large batch of apple butter (Crock Pot Apple Butter), so I'm using homemade. Again, use what you can get.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup smucker's cider apple butter (or your own)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1Add everything together. Well, that's where their recipe ends. I think that's silly. So, let's continue.
- 2Sauté the onion in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil, medium heat. Cook till translucent.
- 3Add the garlic, cook for about a minute.
- 4Put everything into a sauce pot on medium heat, stir everything together.
- 5Before a boil begins, drop the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 min., stirring frequently.
- 6Take it off heat, let it cool for 30 minute (unless you're canning, of course).
- 7Store it however you wish. It should keep in the fridge for 30 days, in a freezer for longer, or just can it.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Butter Barbecue Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (720 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 841.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 80.2 g
- Protein 1.9 g