Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I saw jars of apple butter BBQ sauce at an apple orchard a few weeks ago. I thought this was a splendid idea—especially for ribs. I've scoured the Internet, and this recipe looks like the best bet. It's originally from Smuckers, (featuring their apple butter). That said, I made a large batch of apple butter (Crock Pot Apple Butter), so I'm using homemade. Again, use what you can get.
- 1 cup smucker's cider apple butter (or your own)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Add everything together. Well, that's where their recipe ends. I think that's silly. So, let's continue.
- Sauté the onion in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil, medium heat. Cook till translucent.
- Add the garlic, cook for about a minute.
- Put everything into a sauce pot on medium heat, stir everything together.
- Before a boil begins, drop the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 min., stirring frequently.
- Take it off heat, let it cool for 30 minute (unless you're canning, of course).
- Store it however you wish. It should keep in the fridge for 30 days, in a freezer for longer, or just can it.
Awesome BBQ sauce. I made pulled pork and got rave reviews. Just like Montana's BBQ sauce.
i've made this a few times and we all thought it was delicious. will definitely hang on to this recipe! thank you!
this is very good and as for some people . We find the area you are living in could change any taste problems . making changes may help you or just make your Carolina sauce. no one told people not to add or subtract items to fit taste.i am sure no one is holding a gun to your head.