Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My mom has used this recipe ever since I can remember. We make this together and have a wonderful time. I love this spead on bagels.
Top Review by Minetta M.
My husband made this recipe with a few adjustments. We used 3-5lbs of apples, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar all instead of the measurements initially posted, and added 1/4 tsp salt. Otherwise, he followed the recipe, which turned out great and very tasty.
- 5 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and sliced
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box dry pectin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the apples and water to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Mash with a potato masher.
- Add in sugars and remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Quickly pour mixture into hot sterilzed jars; filling to 1/4 inch from the top; wipe jar rims.
- Cover jars at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.