Prep 1 hr
Cook 32 mins
My mom has used this recipe ever since I can remember. We make this together and have a wonderful time. I love this spead on bagels.
- 5 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and sliced
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box dry pectin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Add the apples and water to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Mash with a potato masher.
- Add in sugars and remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Quickly pour mixture into hot sterilzed jars; filling to 1/4 inch from the top; wipe jar rims.
- Cover jars at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
My husband made this recipe with a few adjustments. We used 3-5lbs of apples, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar all instead of the measurements initially posted, and added 1/4 tsp salt. Otherwise, he followed the recipe, which turned out great and very tasty.
This apple butter ROCKS. My FIL loves it as it is the only apple butter that doesn't soak through the bread. All my kids even like it and with 6 kids that is a major accomplicment to get them all to eat the same thing. I will be making lots and lots more of this throughout the winter. It was really easy to make and as a 1st time canner easy is the key to build up the confidence level here.