2 hrs 20 mins
I got this recipe about 35 years ago, from the woman that owned the orchards where we used to go apple picking in the fall. I haven't made this in quite a few years, so the cooking time is an estimate (to the best of my memory)...it could take longer to cook down to a thick spreading consistency.
My Private Note
Pints ( ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and cut apples into small pieces (there should be about 4 quarts).
- 2In a large pot, place apples and cover with water, and cook until soft.
- 3Pour cooked apples and liquid into a food mill (or press them through a large hole sieve) which has been placed over a large bowl, to puree them and remove skins and seeds.
- 4Using the same pot you cooked the apples in, add the cider and bring it to a boil, add apple pulp and sugar; cook until mixture thickens, stirring to prevent scorching.
- 5Stir in all the spices and continue to cook the apple butter until it is thick enough for spreading.
- 6Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Butter
Serving Size: 1 (5495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 949.8
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 247.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 227.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet apple cider