Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love apple butter, and this is a great recipe.
Make and share this Apple Butter recipe from Food.com.
- Cut apples in quarters (skins, stems and seeds can stay on).
- Place in medium saucepan and add water to cover apples completely.
- Add cloves and apple cider vinegar.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook apples until soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Drain water from pan. Transfer to a medium strainer or food mill. Push through strainer or mill, back into saucepan. You should have the consistency of applesauce. Discard stems, skins, seeds and cloves.
- Add brown sugar and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 2 hours to reduce consistency.
- Add room-temperature butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Pour into separate container and chill before serving.
I think what I love about this recipe the most is it doesn't make TO much, just enough that DH and I will have fresh apple butter for us, so need to seal and go through all of that prep work - specially since I don't have the supplies here. Very nice blend of flavors and fresh apple taste. Came out smooth and fresh tasting, and not to sweet. I've always loved apple butter but had never made it myself - now I know I can. Made for Everyday Is a Holiday January 2013