Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is the apple butter recipe that I have been using for years. The apples are cooked with their skins on first so as to get the most flavor and nutrition from the apples.
Top Review by Pesto lover
I also increased the cinnamon. I put everything into a crockpot and left it overnight, for about 11 hours. Then I put it through the colander and canned it. It resulted in a wonderful apple butter! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
- 4 quarts quartered and cored apples, but unpeeled
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cider
- 5 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook apples in water until soft; force through a colander.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook in a slow oven (275 degrees) for 8 hours stirring and scrapping sides of pan every ½ hour.
- Seal in hot, sterilized glasses.
- Makes 12 6 oz glasses. Note: 1 peck equals...approximately 10-12 pounds, or 32 medium apples, or 3-4 9 inch pies, or 7-9 quarts frozen, or 4 quarts canned So, I'd guess 10-12 pounds.