Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is the apple butter recipe that I have been using for years. The apples are cooked with their skins on first so as to get the most flavor and nutrition from the apples.
- 4 quarts quartered and cored apples, but unpeeled
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cider
- 5 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- Cook apples in water until soft; force through a colander.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook in a slow oven (275 degrees) for 8 hours stirring and scrapping sides of pan every ½ hour.
- Seal in hot, sterilized glasses.
- Makes 12 6 oz glasses. Note: 1 peck equals...approximately 10-12 pounds, or 32 medium apples, or 3-4 9 inch pies, or 7-9 quarts frozen, or 4 quarts canned So, I'd guess 10-12 pounds.
I also increased the cinnamon. I put everything into a crockpot and left it overnight, for about 11 hours. Then I put it through the colander and canned it. It resulted in a wonderful apple butter! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
Very good! I used spartan apples for this, I also added in 1 cup brown sugar with 4 cups white and increased the cinnamon to about 2 teaspoons, I am hoping that some will make it to the freezer lol! thanks MG!...Kitten:)