Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful very moist apple Bundt cake with a delicious caramel glaze. This cake can be completely baked and glazed a day ahead, just cover with a cake dome and let stand at room temperature.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb apple, peeled, cored and chopped into about 1/3-inch cubes (can use more apples if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no subs!)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 12-cup bundt pan.
- In a bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture into the Bundt pan and tilt pan to coat.
- In another bowl, place the chopped apples and 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture; toss to coat.
- In another bowl combine 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla; beat with an electric mixture until combined and thick (about 4 minutes).
- Gradually beat in the remaining flour mixture until combined.
- Fold in the chopped apple mixture and pecans into the batter.
- Transfer to prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the cake tests done.
- Transfer the cake to a rack then prepare the caramel glaze.
- To make the glaze: melt butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Whisk in 1 cup brown sugar then the half and half or cream.
- Continue whisking until the glaze is smooth and comes to a boil.
- Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla, and remove from heat.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the hot glaze over the warm cake that is still in the pan.
- Let the cake sit for 15-20 minutes to absorb the glaze.
- Turn the cake onto a platter, then pour the remaining glaze over the cake.
- Let stand until cool (at least 1 hour) before slicing.
I have made this twice now. Delicious recipe. I made it exactly as described. Two large Granny Smith apples makes about a pound. Let the caramel sit for 30-45 minutes to thicken so that it sticks better when you pour.
This recipe is a total winner. Just make sure to let the cake really cool or it will stick! So moist!
Flipped it out of the bunt pan early and some got stuck, but it was delicious!