Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My version of Apple Brown Betty ... always popular, and very easy to make.
- 10 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- lemon, juice of
- Make topping first: In a mixing bowl, combine flour and brown sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside.
- Then make syrup: Combine syrup ingredients in a small bowl and stir well; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease a 12x8 baking pan.
- Peel, core and slice 10-12 medium-sized baking apples (use 12 if they're kind of small or you use a 13x9 pan), preferably Northern Spy.
- Arrange apple slices in bottom of pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Drizzle with half the syrup, cover with all the topping mixture, then drizzle the remaining syrup over top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Lennie, Your recipe for Apple Brown Lennie is delicious! It is so very close to my own recipe for Apple Crisp that I simply had to give it 5 stars! I used the food processor as I do in my own recipe to slice the apples which makes them nice an thin. Otherwise, I made it exactly according to your directions and baked 1 hour! It smelled so good I couldn't wait for after supper. So I had it as a mid-day snack!
This is a delicious apple dessert. We had it warm from the oven with whipped cream. Very good!
thank you Lennie for this tasteful dish.It worked out great.One of my all time favourites !!! Reg