Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Crisco Website. Posting for safe keeping. I am including the crepe recipe but feel free to use your favorite crepe recipe. Times are approximate and do not include batter chill time. You can probably use any apple that cooks well. NOTE: the recipe on the website stated 1 crepe recipe but it makes 12 crepes but the apple brown betty recipe says it makes 6 crepes. You can always freeze any unfilled leftover crepes.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- nonstick cooking spray
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- whipped cream (optional) or frozen whipped topping (optional)
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in small bowl.
- Add milk, eggs and oil, stirring until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Spray a 6-inch nonstick skillet lightly with no-stick cooking spray; heat skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons batter, tilting skillet to make 6-inch crepe.
- Cook over moderate heat 30 to 60 seconds, or until bottom is light brown. Turn crepe over.
- Cook 30 to 45 seconds longer or until bottom is light brown. Cool on wire rack. Lightly spray skillet, if necessary. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying as needed.
- I always cover the crepes with a tea towel while cooking the others.
- Mix apples, brown sugar, water, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in medium saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Combine flour and granulated sugar in small bowl.
- Stir into apple mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes longer, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add walnuts and butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons filling down center of each crepe.
- Fold opposite edges of crepe over apple mixture.
- Arrange crepes in prepared pan.
- Spread remaining apple mixture over crepes.
- Combine all topping ingredients in small bowl.
- Sprinkle over crepes.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until hot. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
This is a mixed review. The crepes would get a 3 but the filling a 5 so the whole recipe a 4. Everyone was hungry and didn't want to wait to bake them so no baking was done. This recipe made 6 crepes and filling for 6 thick crepes. A good breakfast overall - next time I will use my own crepe recipe and bake them.