Recipe by mandabears
This is another old recipe that I found while bulldozing, I mean cleaning out 15 years of stuff. I like to use whole wheat bread instead of white, I think it gives it a nutty taste.
Top Review by Puffykins :)
I don't know if I did it wrong, but this didn't turn out like I expected. The bread cube mixture was sparce & wouldn't "spread" in the bottom of the pan, nor was there enough to "spread" on the top. It turned out burnt around the edges & with very little "betty" as compared to apples. I may try this one again & re-rate/review, but for now I didn't like it.
- 4 cups fresh bread cubes (3/4 inch)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, either packed or use brownulated
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of (in my house this is optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (20 ounce) canspie sliced apples, drained,not pie filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup light cream or 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except apples and cream.
- Spread half of the mixture in greased 12x8x2 pan.
- I use Pam.
- Top with half of the apples.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve warm with Nutmeg cream.
- Nutmeg Cream:.
- Mix cream with nutmeg.