- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooking apples (McIntosh or Granny Smith recommended)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Place the bread slices in a food processor and blend to make fresh crumbs or finely chop it up.
- Rub a 1-quart baking dish thickly with butter then sprinkle liberally with brown sugar.
- Add alternating layers of sliced apples, sugar, and bread crumbs, then repeat, ending with bread crumbs.
- Thickly sprinkle with sugar and dot with extra butter.
- Sprinkle on the water.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until well browned on the top.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.