Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is a great recipe to use up leftover stale bread! Try to use Granny Smith apples for this if not use a firm baking apple, you can add in some frozen cranberries or fresh blueberries in with the apples if desired, just reduce the apples slightly :)
- 4 slices sandwich bread (use day-old bread)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice (can use more)
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- vanilla ice cream
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch baking dish.
- In a food processor process the bread until finely ground (you should have 2 cups of breadcrumbs).
- In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs with melted butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch salt and allspice.
- Add in the apple slices, apple cider, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla; toss well to combine.
- Spoon about 3 cups apple mixture into the baking dish, then sprinkle with half of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Top with remaining apple mixture, then remaining breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack then spoon into serving dishes.
- Top with vanilla ice cream.
This turned out wonderful. I added raisins and chopped pecans as that's how my mom makes her brown betty. She agrees this is a keeper.
I've never had this before, but it's outstanding andvery delicious. I'll make this again because it's quick and really good.
This was excellant Kitten. I'd never had a Brown Betty before, I quite liked it...I love the texture, like spicy applesauce. Very quick and easy to make. I used previously frozen apples, lime juice and lemon zest. Very yummy! I love the flavour that the apple cider and spices give the dish. Thanks so much for sharing.