Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm always looking for new, different, dishes to have as sides for BBQs. I loved this one because it's so easy to throw together without too much chopping and mixing. I found this in an old Cooking Light special edition.
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄4 cups chopped pink lady apples or 2 1⁄4 cups other sweet apples
- 1 (12 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds
- Vinaigrette: combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Slaw: combine apple, broccoli slaw and dried cherries; drizzle with vinaigrette, toss well to combine.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds; chill up to 3 hours.
Im sorry but this was really bad. The idea was great but the dressing was awful. I ate two bites and had to throw it out.
This was very tasty and a hit with DH (I was rather hoping he wouldn't like it). DD didn't care for it at room temp but she liked it chilled (I think the bite of the vinegar had mellowed by then-not sure as I didn't get anymore after that point!). I have a feeling I will be making this very frequently. I only used broccoli-not the slaw mix-so I may add baby carrots next time. I used date sugar instead of brown sugar and used just a touch more of it. I also subbed slivered almonds for the sunflower seeds. Thank you!
This was very good. I made it for a "fish fry" party we were having and I wanted something a little different - this fit the bill!