Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
Chicken breasts are stuffed with apples, Brie and herbs; topped with a warm cider sauce, carmelized onions and tender cinnamon-apples. This is a deliciously different departure from bland baked chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed fat
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced (Fuji, Empire, or Braeburn)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces brie cheese, rind removed and divided into 4 even slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 yellow onions, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced thin (Fuji, Empire, or Braeburn)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board. Lightly press each chicken breast flat with one hand; use a sharp knife to cut a slit horizontally along one edge of the breast, cutting nearly to the opposite side but not all the way through. Open it so it forms two flaps, attached at the center, like a butterfly. Set aside - keep refrigerated.
- 4To a small mixing bowl, add the diced apple, lemon juice, lemon zest, sage, 3 tablespoons of bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 5Stuff each breast with about a quarter of the apple mixture and 1 slice of Brie; close the flap, press it down firmly, and set the chicken aside.
- 6Transfer the stuffed chicken breasts to a baking sheet. (There is no need to seal them around the edges.) Sprinkle the breasts with salt and pepper.
- 7Combine the remaining bread crumbs, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow dish. Lightly beat the egg with a fork in another dish.
- 8One at a time, hold the chicken breast together and dip in the beaten egg - coat on both sides. Dredge in the bread crumb mixture, turning it over to coat well. Repeat until done.
- 9Next, drizzle 2 teaspoons of olive oil into a large heavy-bottom skillet; set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts; brown on each side (about 2 - 3 minutes per side).
- 10Transfer the chicken breasts to a large casserole dish; add 1/2 cup of the apple cider/juice, the chicken broth, and the thyme sprigs. Place in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- 11While the chicken is baking, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about 15 - 20 minutes, stirring often. Cook until they turn deep golden brown. To the onions add the garlic, sliced apples, cinnamon and wine and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until the liquid evaporates. Cover and keep warm.
- 12Transfeer the chicken to a warmed serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- 13Whisk together the remaining apple cider/juice, the mustard, and the cinnamon; bring to a boil in a small sauce pan on high heat for 3 minutes until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
- 14Spoon the carmelized onions and cinnamon apples, followed by the sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.3
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 489.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs