Recipe by LAURIE
A very different breakfast casserole from the usual baked french toast or egg ones. You will be pleasantly surprised like I was on this one!
Top Review by KathyRose in RI
I make this recipe often and was going to post it when I found it already here! EVERYONE asks for the recipe every time I make it. I can't get people to try the sour cream and brown sugar mixture though, unless they are adventerous, so I always put out maple syrup, too. I prefer the sour cream topping. Goes together in minutes and feeds a good crowd.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen French toast (12 slices)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced boiled deli ham
- 2 cups gourmet shredded cheddar cheese (Sargento has a 3-cheese gourmet that is great)
- 1 cup granola with raisins
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can apple pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, mix sour cream with brown sugar and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Layer 6 toast slices in greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Cover with ham.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup cheese over ham.
- Layer remaining 6 slices toast over cheese.
- Spread pie filling over toast.
- Sprinkle with granola.
- Bake 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake additional 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- To serve cut into squares and top with a dollop of sour cream/brown sugar mixture.
- We also like it with butter and maple syrup and totally omit the sour cream but it is great both ways.