Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe was printed in the Toronto Star way back in 1990 and was featured in an article about The Elmwood Bed and Breakfast in Charlottetown, P.E.I. My family likes cake anytime and this recipe appeals to me in that it is made with easily obtainable ingredients, is not too sweet and can be enjoyed for breakfast or with a cup of coffee during the day.
Filling and Topping
- 5 medium apples
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 12.32 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice apples; set aside.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, vanilla, oil and orange juice.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into egg batter until smooth.
- Spoon half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan.
- Distribute the apples evenly over the batter and sprinkle on half of the cinnamon mixture.
- Pour in the remaining batter and sprinkle on the remaining cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 1 hour on a rack before turning out to finish cooling.