A quick yummy dish for brunch. Original recipe from Sunset October 2009 but I added the bacon and cheese on top. I don't have an ovenproof skillet so I cooked the butter, sugar, cinnamon and apples in a saucepan, poured the egg mixture in a greased 8" square glass casserole and poured the apple mixture on top. It worked fine. It'll serve six if you have other dishes available or armed guards at the buffet table.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 sweet apple, peeled and sliced thinly (Gala or Fuji)
- 3 large eggs
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
- Peheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 12 inch ovenproof frying pan over high heat.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon, swirling to combine.
- Add apple slices and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- In a blender, whirl together eggs, bacon, salt, flour and milk.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and bake until puffed and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Top with cheese, optional.
Very different, very good! I followed the directions, using an overproof skillet. I added the lemon juice to the apple mixture, as I knew I wanted to try the optional cheddar. Easy to put together, and quick, too. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Skinnyfroglegs. (BTW, I love your chef name!) Made for PAC Spring 2010. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Very good - I knew it would be once I started cooking and had to start with butter and sugar! It turned out great. (15 min does not include the cooking time for bacon.) I did not really taste the bacon so I think that could be optional. (I used turkey bacon so not sure if that is why it didnt lend much flavor.) The dish was a nice surprise. I hesitated to put cheese on an apple and sugar dish, but rationalized that there was also bacon and eggs too. I still wasnt sure, so only did it on half. I found the sugared (no cheese side) to taste very much like scrumptious french toast, it is soooo good. (still eating it, savoring it....) I tried a bit of the cheese side too. I think that is good if you are looking for something more hearty... bacon and eggs kinda thing. I think next time I will not include the bacon, nor the optional cheese cover....cause there will definitely be a next time.... but didn't give 5 star because is not very healthy, so not sure when that next time will be. ;)