Recipe by Gluten-free living
Last night, my son asked for the apple bar recipe I used to make, so I had to dig it out of my archives. I originally got this recipe from michiganapples.com, but it's no longer there. I usually increase the recipe by 50% and bake it in a 9x13 pan.
Top Review by jennyblender
This was great! Everyone in the family really liked them! As suggested I increased the recipe by 50% and cooked in the bigger pan and it turned out great. Just for reference, while upping the recipe 50%, I only added 1 egg and used 4 med/large apples. Next time I will reduce the sugar because it was a little on the sweet side and maybe add some flax seeds or something. Thanks for the great recipe.....
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup all purpose)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice (I use 1 tsp. cinnamon)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated apples
- 1 eggs or 1 egg substitute, to make it vegan
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium sized mixing bowl. Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl, then stir together.
- Spread in 9x9 pan and bake about 25 minutes or until light brown and tests clean with a toothpick.
- To make it gluten free, substitute your favorite gf flour blend for the whole wheat flour and be sure to use gluten-free oats.
- When I use the 9x9 pan, I cut it in half one way and quarters the other way to make 8 bars.