Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is amazing. Very very tasty and a huge hit with my family for Sunday brunches.
- 1⁄2 cup milk, heated to lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, stir together the lukewarm milk, 1 tablespoon white sugar, and the yeast. Let this mixture stand 5-10 minutes or until the yeast is foamy.
- At this point add the flour, the remaining 3 tablespoons white sugar, and the salt and beat until combined.
- Add 1 egg and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- With the mixer running, gradually add small pieces of the softened butter, continuing to knead the dough for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the dough is soft and silky feeling.
- Place the dough in a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Once it has doubled in size, punch the dough down and, on a lightly floured surface, roll or press into a 13 x 9 inch rectangle.
- Transfer to a buttered or parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, 1 egg and cinnamon for the egg wash.
- With a pastry brush, lightly brush the surface of the dough with the egg wash. Cover the dough and let rise until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, make the streusel topping. In a small bowl combine ¼ cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and ¼ tsp cinnamon.
- With a pastry blender, or your fingertips, cut in t1/4 cup butter until the mixture is lumpy. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- When the dough has doubled in size, once again lightly brush the surface with the egg wash. Evenly place the diced apple on the dough and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.