1/1 Photo of Apple Bread With a Streusel Topping
1 hr 15 mins
This is amazing. Very very tasty and a huge hit with my family for Sunday brunches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup milk, heated to lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1In the bowl of your electric mixer, stir together the lukewarm milk, 1 tablespoon white sugar, and the yeast. Let this mixture stand 5-10 minutes or until the yeast is foamy.
- 2At this point add the flour, the remaining 3 tablespoons white sugar, and the salt and beat until combined.
- 3Add 1 egg and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- 4With the mixer running, gradually add small pieces of the softened butter, continuing to knead the dough for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the dough is soft and silky feeling.
- 5Place the dough in a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- 6Once it has doubled in size, punch the dough down and, on a lightly floured surface, roll or press into a 13 x 9 inch rectangle.
- 7Transfer to a buttered or parchment lined baking sheet.
- 8In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, 1 egg and cinnamon for the egg wash.
- 9With a pastry brush, lightly brush the surface of the dough with the egg wash. Cover the dough and let rise until doubled in size.
- 10While the dough is rising, make the streusel topping. In a small bowl combine ¼ cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and ¼ tsp cinnamon.
- 11With a pastry blender, or your fingertips, cut in t1/4 cup butter until the mixture is lumpy. Set aside.
- 12Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- 13When the dough has doubled in size, once again lightly brush the surface with the egg wash. Evenly place the diced apple on the dough and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- 14Bake for about 35 minutes or until nicely browned and cooked through.
- 15Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- 16Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Bread With a Streusel Topping
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.6
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 175.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 7.3 g