Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of the better recipes for bread pudding. The vanilla sauce recipe may be cut in half if desired, but it is so good, you might just want to prepare it with the stated amounts.
- 4 1⁄2 cups French bread, cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no subs)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, beaten
VANILLA BUTTER SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 cup butter (no subs!)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, raisins and apples.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1-3/4 cups half and half cream and 1/4 cup butter.
- Cook and stir until butter melts and the mixture is well blended (it does not have to boil).
- Pour over bread mixture in the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla and eggs.
- Pour the bread mixture into the prepared baking dish, and drizzle egg mixture on top.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the center is set, and apple are tender.
- Serve with warm vanilla sauce.
- To make vanilla sauce: Combine white sugar, brown sugar, half and half cream, whipping cream and butter in a saucepan; bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, add in vanilla; mix to combine.
From Lorely#779694 Jan5.2009 Made this bread pudding it was so scrumptios it remindet me of the one my Mom use to make back in Germany,my family calls it Omas pudding,thank you for this yummy Recipe,I did add some more apples.
Made the sauce only, to go with another bread pudding recipe. It was so wonderful on the pudding. Used left-over sauce on french toast after the bread pudding was gone. It would also be fantastic on ice cream. Just an all-around scumptious flavored sweet sauce.
Mmmm, rich and yummy pudding! This was bit heavy on bread, next time I will maybe change the ratio of bread and apples, to have more apples in it. I will also mix the egg into the pudding next time, not just drizzle on top, it did form some eggy crust on top. I would not halve the amount of butter sauce but I did halve the butter in it. Might leave it out alltogether, next time, but then it wouldn't be butter sauce anymore, would it? I love using butter in my cooking, but not in great quantities. All in all this was very yummy and we really enjoyed it.