Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
One of the better recipes for bread pudding. The vanilla sauce recipe may be cut in half if desired, but it is so good, you might just want to prepare it with the stated amounts.
Top Review by lore_marty_keegan1
From Lorely#779694 Jan5.2009 Made this bread pudding it was so scrumptios it remindet me of the one my Mom use to make back in Germany,my family calls it Omas pudding,thank you for this yummy Recipe,I did add some more apples.
- 4 1⁄2 cups French bread, cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no subs)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, beaten
VANILLA BUTTER SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 cup butter (no subs!)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, raisins and apples.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1-3/4 cups half and half cream and 1/4 cup butter.
- Cook and stir until butter melts and the mixture is well blended (it does not have to boil).
- Pour over bread mixture in the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla and eggs.
- Pour the bread mixture into the prepared baking dish, and drizzle egg mixture on top.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the center is set, and apple are tender.
- Serve with warm vanilla sauce.
- To make vanilla sauce: Combine white sugar, brown sugar, half and half cream, whipping cream and butter in a saucepan; bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, add in vanilla; mix to combine.