Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from Eagle Brand - Canada for ZWT 2006.
- 4 cups stale French bread cubes
- 2 cups apples, pared, cored, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 eggs
- 1 (300 ml) canregular eagle brand sweetened condensed milk or 1 (300 ml) can low fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
Maple Rum Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract
- In large bowl, combine bread cubes, apples and raisins. Place in greased 9-inch (2.5 L) square baking pan.
- Whisk together eggs; stir in Eagle Brand, hot water, butter and maple extract. Pour over bread cube mixture, completely moistening bread.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Serve warm with maple rum sauce.
- *** Maple Rum Sauce - Over medium heat, melt together butter, whipping cream and brown sugar until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rum and maple extract. Serve warm over apple bread pudding. Makes about 1 cup.
This had a nice mix of flavors but is a bit too sweet. I'm going to try to play with it and see what I can do to sub out the sweetened condensed milk.