1/1 Photo of Apple Bread Pudding With Brandy Butterscotch Sauce
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Innisfree Restaurant, Glacier, Washington. Fred and Lynn Berman are organic farmers who opened a restaurant to showcase their favorite seasonal foods. Harvest time is Lynn Berman's favorite time of year, when she often turns crisp, tart apples into this homey bread pudding. From The Best Northwest Places Cookbook (Volume 1). For the apples, use preferably jonagold, spartan, or melrose, cored and cut in 1/2-inch slices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sliced day-old bread
- 1 1/2 lbs large apples (or more)
- 8 eggs
- 5 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
BRANDY BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
- 1PREHEAT THE OVEN to 350°F
- 2Lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
- 3CRUMBLE THE BREAD into coarse crumbs, using your hands.
- 4Sprinkle two-thirds of the crumbs into the prepared baking dish.
- 5Arrange the apple wedges over the bread in rows, overlapping them slightly.
- 6COMBINE THE EGGS, half-and-half, 1 cup of the sugar, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, and the nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.
- 7Beat well, then pour the mixture over the apples and bread.
- 8In another bowl, combine the ground hazelnuts with the remaining bread crumbs, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 9Sprinkle this mixture over the apples and press down gently so it soaks up some of the liquid.
- 10Bake until the pudding is lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
- 11MAKE THE SAUCE while the bread pudding is baking.
- 12Combine the butter and honey in a deep, medium-sized saucepan (the mixture will expand when it boils) and heat over medium-low heat until both are melted and smooth.
- 13Bring to a boil without stirring and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 14Reduce the heat and carefully stir in the cream and brandy.
- 15Cook 1 minute longer.
- 16Set aside and keep warm until needed.
- 17LET THE BREAD PUDDING sit for a few minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
- 18Drizzle a little of the brandy butterscotch sauce over each serving, passing the extra sauce separately.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Bread Pudding With Brandy Butterscotch Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.3
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 195.2 mg
- Sodium 361.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 44.3 g
- Protein 11.5 g