Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe came from the local hospital's healthy eating guide. Heart healthy recipes.
- 4 slices cinnamon raisin bread, slightly stale, cubed
- 1 cup granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated 2% milk
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes and apples together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar and eggs.
- Add evaporated milk, skim milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk again.
- Pour egg/milk mixture over bread cubes and apples.
- Stir well and let stand 5 minutes for bread to absorb liquid.
- Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking pan coated with non-stick spray, ensuring apples are distributed evenly.
- Bake 50 minutes or until break is deep golden brown and puffed up.
- A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.