This bread is moist and tender, and full of raisins, fresh apples and walnuts! Using buttermilk makes all of the diffence.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups peeled diced cooking apples
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cream ½ cup butter, gradually adding sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk; add to batter, mixing well.
- Stir in flour.
- Add vanilla, and stir well.
- Stir in apples, walnuts and raisins.
- Spoon into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
- Drizzle melted butter over loaves.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; stir well, and sprinkle over loaves.
- Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; turn out on wire rack.