Recipe by LiisaN
This is a moist and good tasting Apple bread. Perfect for fall! I grew up in Michigan on an apple orchard - so we had alot of apples in the fall...so this to me tastes best with hot apple cider..but I bet tea or coffee or a cold glass of milk would be good too.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Beat eggs, vanilla, milk and add to mixture.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powders- then stir into creamed mixture.
- Add chopped apples.
- Combine topping ingredients into separate bowl.
- Spoon 1/2 batter mixture into greased 9x5 bread pan.
- Sprinkle half of topping mixture over batter.
- Spoon remaining batter into pan.
- Sprinkle remaining topping- add nuts if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.