Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk; add to butter mixture.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Sift together flour and salt; stir into butter mixture.
- Stir in apples and nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Mix together all topping ingredients.
- Crumble over top of batter.
- Bake 1 hour, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe was a nice change from the banana bread that I always make. It was very moist. I omitted the walnuts because I don't like nuts.
I made this for the NEW REVISED Bargain Basement Game 2006 and it is a definate keeper!! I only did one thing different and I used melted butter so I just spread it on and I liked it much better 'cause the top came out VERY Crunchy and that is the way I like it. I was told this was the best bread I have ever made & I have made a few.