Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This sounds heavenly! Also from hobbyfarmers.com. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely grated raw peeled apples (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour an 8- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until fluffy; beat in eggs.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, alternating with portions of the grated apple.
- Stir in lemon peel and walnuts. The batter will be stiff.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean and top is nicely browned.
- Cool thoroughly; do not slice until cold.
I reduced the sugar by half. I found that there was something missing. It didn't taste a lot apple. Maybe I'd try with 1 cup grated and 1 cup diced. Cinnamon would be great in it. Thanks for posting :) Made for bargain basement tag game