Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These muffins are rather dense and chewy and totally delicious! Lots of fiber and not too sweet. You can add raisins (1 C) and/or chopped nuts (1/2 C) and you can add some ground cloves (1/2 tsp) and/or ground nutmeg (1/4 tsp.) along with the cinnamon. Makes 2 dozen regular muffins or 4 dozen mini muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the cereal, buttermilk, oil, eggs and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the grated apple and mix together. (If using raisins and/or chopped nuts, add them at this time.) Let the apple mixture sit while you measure the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl measure the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix together with a wire whisk.
- Pour the apple mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Prepare muffin tins with spray release and fill muffin cups a little more than half full.
- Bake regular size muffins about 15 to 18 minutes and mini or "gem" muffins about 13 minutes. Let muffins sit in pans for 2 to 3 minutes before gently turning out onto a baking rack to cool.
- These freeze very well.