Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love apples and I love baking with apple butter. I searched zaar looking for a muffin recipe that used both as ingredients but found nothing so I decided to experiment and create my own recipe using the ingredients that I like. This was the end result and I was so pleased with how they turned out that I had to share! You could add 1/4-1/2 cup of nuts or raisins if you'd like but I like them just the way they are. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup apple butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup shredded granny smith apple (about 2 small)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a large muffin tin (I use my "Texas" sized muffin pan).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon and mix to blend.
- In another bowl add wheat bran and milk and blend well.
- Then to the bran mixture add eggs, apple butter and 2 tbsp oil and mix to blend.
- Let bran mixture sit 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and shred the apples.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from apples with your hands.
- Add shredded apples to the bran mixture and mix well to blend.
- Add wheat bran mixture to flour mixture and stir to blend (batter will be thick).
- Spoon batter into muffin cups evenly.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until they just begin to brown and test done with a toothpick.
- Cool muffins in pan on a wire rack 5-10 minutes.
- Remove muffins from muffin pan and cool completely.
- *** Preparation time includes preparing the apples. You can make 12 standard size muffins instead of six large but you'll need to reduce baking time to approximately 15-20 minutes or until they test done.
This is a great variation to the standard bran muffin. Good flavor and moist! I did up the bran to 3/4 cup and reduced the flour to 1 cup in order to increase the amount of fiber. Very good! I made 12 standard-sized muffins. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Wonderful! Flavorful and very moist with a lovely almost buttery, crunchy top, something you wouldn't expect in such a lowfat muffin. These smell fantastic while baking. Used Recipe #143307. Made 12 standard-sized muffins and baked for 20-25 minutes. Wouldn't change a thing! Thanks for sharing your recipe!