Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A lightly sweetened whole grain cake that would be nice for breakfast. It's a healthier alternative to sugar-laden coffee cake!
- 1 3⁄4 cups oat bran
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced into quarter inch pieces
- Stir together all dry ingredients except currants; add currants, tossing to coat.
- Whisk together wet ingredients; add diced apple.
- Stir wet into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased 8-inch square pan and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until tests done (check halfway through baking time and cover with foil if cake is browning too quickly).
- Let cool in pan for 25 minutes, then run a knife around the pan’s edges and invert cake onto a wire rack.
This is a nice cake if you don't like your cake too sweet, the molasses gives it a rich taste and the pieces of apple are a nice addition as are the currents. A very moist cake, I think my DH would like this with a little sweet custard sauce poured over as a pudding. Thank you for posting. Made for Lets PARTY December 2010