Recipe by Tish
POINTS-5. Simmering poultry in fat-free liquid is a moist, low-POINT way to flavor food. Experiment with other types of broths and juices, too.
Top Review by ladypit
Very Very Tasty. The only problem I had was that I could not get the liquid to thicken. Didn't bother us much, though. I think I may add more apples next time. Nice flavor. Very moist chicken.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, four 4 oz pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium apples, firm,cored and sliced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, warm oil over high heat.
- Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl, patting off excess.
- Place chicken in skillet and brown well on both sides.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Reduce stove temperature to low and add onion to skillet.
- Sauté, stirring often, until onion is tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in apples, cider, chicken broth, salt, ginger and chicken.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken, onions and apples to a serving dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 2 to 3 Tbs of pan juices.
- Combine cornstarch mixture with remaining pan juices, whisking constantly.
- Simmer for one minute.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
- Yields 1 chicken breast and about 3/4 cup of apple-onion mixture per serving.